A rainy Thursday.
A day that would be ideal to cook so hot & warm food.
Yes, you’ve guessed it right. With Zespri Kiwifruit again! Our superfruit 😀
Sweet and Sour Pork (Zespri 咕嚕肉)
**Sweet & Sour Pork recipe adapted from www.rasamalaysia.com (Added in kiwi ourselves for the extra tangy taste!)
– 1/2 lb. pork tenderloin (cut into bite size pieces)
– 1/2 green bell pepper (about 2 oz. and cut into pieces)
– 1/2 red bell pepper (about 2 oz. and cut into pieces)
** since we do not have bell pepper at home we used cucumber
– 2 stalks scallions (only the white part, cut into 2 inch length)
– 1 piece fresh/canned pineapple ring (cut into small pieces)
– 2 Zespri Kiwifruit (you could use any variant – best is sungold)
– 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
– Oil for frying
– 1 teaspoon soy sauce
– 1/2 teaspoon corn flour
– 1/2 teaspoon rice wine
– 1/2 cup water
– 2 oz. all-purpose flour
– 1 oz. corn starch
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/2 egg
– 1 teaspoon cooking oil
– 1 small pinch of salt
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
– 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
– 1 teaspoon plum sauce
– 1/8 teaspoon Chinese rice vinegar (transparent in color)
– 1/2 teaspoon Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
– 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
– 1 teaspoon corn starch
– 1 teaspoon sugar
– 2 tablespoons water
1. Cut the pork tenderloin into pieces and marinate with the ingredients for 15-20 minutes.
2. Mix the sweet and sour sauce ingredients well and set aside.
3. Strain the dry ingredients of the frying batter and then add in the egg, water, and cooking oil to form a thick batter.
4. When the pork is well-marinated, transfer the pork pieces into the batter and make sure they are well coated. In a deep skillet, add in the cooking oil enough for deep-frying. Once the oil is hot, deep fry the pork pieces until they turn golden brown. Dish out and drain on paper towels.
5. Heat up a wok and add in some cooking oil. Add in the chopped garlic and stir fry until light brown, then follow by the bell peppers (or cucumber), Zespri kiwifruit and pineapple pieces. Stir fry until you smell the peppery aroma from the peppers and then add in the sweet and sour sauce. As soon as the sauce thickens, transfer the pork into the wok and stir well with the sauce. Add in the chopped scallions, do a few quick stirs, dish out and serve hot with steamed white rice.
5. As Chris loves eggs, you can opt to serve with a fried egg too! (**Optional)
Do you know that Zespri Green Kiwifruit can also be used as a Natural Meat Tenderizer? Yes it does 😀
Check out http://zespri.com.my/ for more selections of other recipes 🙂